I’m done doing the right thing
You are a good person. Since the time you were a little kid you have cared about doing the right thing. Am I right? 😉
You extend your love, you try to create peace, you are energized by making a positive change.
I see you.
Our society stays afloat and progresses through the generosity of people like you.
So why am I done stressing about the right thing and encouraging you to do the same?
After coaching many passionate, motivated leaders who are committed to doing the right thing, just like me and you, I know their over used commitment to do things “correctly” actual keeps them from their full potential and the impact they are trying to make.
It also leaves them with a ton of anxiety and stress. It doesn’t have to be this way.
When we say we want to do the “right thing”, inherently we are saying, I don’t want to get in trouble for doing the “wrong thing”.
We are avoiding the potential shame or embarrassment of doing something less than perfect. I get it. I’ve spent a lot of my life in this place. And sometimes our body/nervous system doesn’t feel safe doing something less than perfect. I understand. But doing things imperfectly is the only way to get better.
So how do I do the right thing imperfectly?
The elusive perfect choice and right way of doing things keeps us stuck.
So here’s my recommendation instead…
- Make the best choice with the information you have now.
- Allow space for new information to emerge.
- Give yourself the freedom to pivot.
- Don’t wait until circumstances are perfect to take action (perfect will never come).
- Be kind to yourself as you navigate the complex reality of life.
And most of all, be proud of yourself for taking action fueled by your desire to create positive change, knowing that perfect is an illusion that keeps you stuck.
The faster we get unstuck the more joy we experience and progress we make towards our goals.
- Where is my desire to do things “correctly” keeping me from any action at all?
- What is the positive impact I could make with imperfection action?
- How will I consciously incorporate lessons learned while I have fun taking action?
You’ve got this.
Let’s go spread more love, beauty, and positive change with a lot of imperfection joy-filled action!
Need help with the pull of perfectionism and the crippling effect of fear of mistakes?
I have openings for 1:1 clients. Don’t wait until the new year to create the change you need now.